Friday, December 4, 2009

NY Adventure

On one of my days off I headed into New York City to check out the El Greco iconography display at the Onassis Cultural Center located across the street from Rockefeller Center. While not a great culinary adventure it was a tasty one. I got off the train at Grand Central station and headed out on 42nd street and to my joy cam across an old friend named Tim Horton.

For those who have not had the treat of visiting a Tim Horton's or are saying who? TH is a chain from our friends north of the border in Canada. They know how to make donuts. Not too sweet but full of flavor they make the best Boston Cream donuts and that is what I treated myself to.

Tim Horton's

The top is a nice layer of chocolate icing that doesn't over power the donuts that are full of a creamy custard. The donuts body is light and fluffy and allow the toppings and fillings to add the sweetness.

So with my donuts in hand I headed up 5th Ave, making a little pit stop at Saks to check out their holiday spirit, and arrived at the El Greco display. Beautiful but heretical iconography that I image will be visited by me again with some of my classmates.

Seeing that is was lunch time I decided to head over to Rockefeller Center and see what I could find. I came across a great little eatery that has a sit down section along with a take out cafeteria section called Cucina & Co. Located under 30 Rock this place offered a wide variety of dishes that looked much more appetizing then the normal take out cafeteria deli you find in NY.

My lunch today was the Chicken Terriaki Bowl. Nicely grilled chicken tossed in a traditional terriaki suace served over sticky rice with al dente carrots and squash. Yeah it was yummy. For a place full of over priced restaurants and tourist traps this place is a nice refuge were I was able to get filled and satisfied with great tastes for under $10.

DSC_0025

No comments:

Post a Comment